Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Vote for Moment of theYear

The National Thoroughbred Racing Association is having an open vote on Moment of the year. You can make your vote at www.ntra.com. I think that 2009 was a tremendous year for horse racing. There are a vast number of moments I witnessed, both great and frightful. However the essence of this post is to make known my vote of the year. I love exciting finishes when attending the races or viewing them from my computer. The NTRA has nominated some very great moments, which for most of us who love this game, will have a tough time picking out the best. Among my selections and my subsequent final vote are:

The Dubai World Cup is one of my favorite races of the year. I usually get up very early in the morning, eat a great, hearty breakfast, and head out to the Track Side OTB at Arlington Park. This year I thought the race in which Well Armed ridden by Aaron Gryder was a great race. Well Armed set the pace and never looked back. Fun to watch.

Obviously, the Kentucky Derby is my favorite event of the year. And to see that little horse, Mine That Bird, hug the rail under Calvin Borel, was indeed an exciting moment during the year. Almost as good as Street Sense's victory in 2007.

Who can forget the fantastic Preakness in which Rachel Alexander ran away from the boys to earn a spot in history. Boy, did Calvin Borel have an exciting and great year.

How about that 20 length lead Presious Passion had in the United Nations Stakes! While watching that race I though all the other horses would come back to him. They did, but he fought them off to victory.

I have to admit my second favorite race of the year is the Arlington Million on one of North America's most beautiful Turf courses. Over soft to good Turf the amazing Gio Ponti closed for home in victorious fashion. What a race that was!

Finally, the glorious Zenyatta in the Breeders Cup Classic with a thrilling finish under Mike Smith to beat the boys was one of the most exciting races I have seen. She made history on that day.

Clearly, a difficult choice. The envelope please....

My Moment of the Year Vote went to: Zenyatta in the Breeders Cup Classic.

You have until December 31, 2009 to make your vote. Please do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment